It didn’t feel right to me to use starred ratings or number rankings for my reviews. A lot of ranking systems end up feeling too much like grades for my liking. At the end of the day, all I’m looking for from a rating is, “should I read it?” That’s why the rating system I chose is designed to be straightforward. It lets you know whether I recommend the book or not, and that’s it. The system is as follows:
- DNF – Did Not Finish. I rarely DNF books and this will be a rare rating.
- Do Not Recommend – I personally don’t recommend the book to other readers.
- Neutral – I had problems with the book, but there were enough redeeming qualities that I won’t entirely sway readers away from it.
- Recommend – I thought that the book was good, and want to encourage others to read it.
- Highly Recommend – I thought that the book was extraordinary, and I strongly encourage others to read it because I think that they will love it, as well.